14 June 2013

pick up the pace!

what do you listen to when you run?

music?

nothing?

james earl jones reading the Bible?

i began by running on a treadmill and watching music videos as my 'countdown timer', so it was a natural transition for me to start roadrunning with my ipod.  however, i had one of those ipods that you could anchor down a body in a river with, so it wasn't long before i decided to ditch the extra weight and run without music.
for the past two years i've run without music or entertainment of any kind - choosing to listen instead to the rhythm of my shoes on the pavement, the rustling of tree leaves, and the occasional honk from an annoyed driver who can't seem to figure out how to drive around me.

but on yesterday's tempo run with my coach, he told me that he's a big believer in running faster paced training workouts with music - as both a motivational/adrenalin aid but also a cue for stride turnover.  since i've managed to wrangle a less stone-age ipod from a friend, i could probably work something out to once again tote some tuneage along with me.

i know that playlists are a very personal thing - and to each his/her own when it comes to musical selections ... but here's what i've put together for my next tempo run session (in order by artist):
  • Beastie Boys - Sabotage
  • Blur - Song 2
  • Collective Soul - Gel
  • The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary
  • Eminem - Lose Yourself
  • Herbie Hancock - Rockit
  • House of Pain - Jump Around, Shamrocks and Shenanigans, Top o' the Morning to Ya
  • Kid Rock - Bawitdaba, American Bad Ass
  • Kiss - Deuce
  • Lady Gaga - Poker Face
  • Limp Bizkit - Rollin'
  • Metallica - Enter Sandman
  • Ministry - Stigmata
  • Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
  • Quiet Riot - Cum on Feel the Noize
  • Red Hot Chili Peppers - Give It Away
  • Rob Zombie - Dragula
  • Run DMC - Its Tricky, Raising Hell
  • Rush - Red Sector A
  • Slade - Run Runaway
  • Survivor - Eye of the Tiger
  • Van Halen - Panama
  • WWF Entrance Music - The Ultimate Warrior
do you prefer music when you run?  what's your block-rockin' playlist like?
Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. I used to listen to music when i run…until km32 of my first marathon when i hit the wall hard and the music piped through my earphones became excruciatingly painful….like an incessant buzzing noise. after that experience, i have never run with music again.

    however…i do listen to music before important ball games and my top 4 songs are:

    1. theme from "Wong Fei Hong" :) <-- all time #1
    2. Get it started by the Black Eyed Peas
    3. Worlds Greatest - R Kelly
    4. Don't Stop Believing - Journey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been having so much fun with your playlist, watching U-tube videos for them all. I have just finished with "Rollin'". I must confess that I do not listen to music while I run,I am a die-hard nature nut and I really enjoy the sounds around me this time of year. A week ago last Saturday I almost landed on a snapping turtle that was digging a hole to lay her eggs on the rec trail.
    I do really enjoy listening to classic rock though as well as christian rock.Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody is one of my faves. I am so thrilled that you have chosen such a great coach. I am confident that he will help you achieve your goals.

    ReplyDelete